Draft Northern Territory Burial and Cremation Bill
The Northern Territory Government has drafted a Burial and Cremation Bill to replace the current Northern Territory Cemeteries Act. The Cemeteries Act was developed in 1952 and has been revised to better reflect the needs and wishes of the Northern Territory community regarding burials, cremation and the handling of loved ones’ remains.
The new legislation will ensure that:
- human remains continue to be treated with dignity and respect
- burial and cremation records, such as registers, are kept and maintained
- different practices and beliefs regarding the burial or cremation of human remains are accommodated
- cemeteries on Aboriginal land are recognised.
The draft legislation has been developed based on feedback from stakeholders, including industry groups, government agencies and land councils.
Cemetery management arrangements are also covered in the draft bill, including the process for issuing burial permits and other documents.
The draft Burial and Cremation Bill is now open for public consultation.
Information sessions for interested organisations can be provided upon request. Please contact the department to discuss this.
Submissions close on 31 March 2019.
For questions please contact:
Legislation and Policy Officer
Local Government and Community Development Division
08 8995 5107
Audio information on the draft bill in Aboriginal languages
Overview of proposed legislation changes
This information is not legal advice and does not cover all of the requirements proposed under the draft Burial and Cremation Bill. It is intended only as a quick reference for some of the main provisions. The full Bill should be read for a complete picture.
- Public cemeteries page | Public cemeteries
- Community cemeteries page | Community cemeteries
- Crematoria page | Crematoria
- Exclusive rights of burial page | Exclusive rights of burial
- Closure of cemeteries page | Closure of cemeteries
- Reviewable decisions page | Reviewable decisions
- Compliance framework page | Compliance framework
- Burials outside of declared cemeteries page | Burials outside of declared cemeteries
Frequently asked questions
Municipal Council/ Corporation
- Greater Darwin including Litchfield and Palmerston
- Katherine Town Council
- Alice Springs Town Council
Last updated: 22 February 2019