NT Homelessness Strategy now available
The NT Homelessness Strategy 2018-23
To deliver these outcomes, the strategy focuses on five priority actions to achieve service improvements across a range of key areas to:
- Reduce exits into homelessness from out of home care, health services and correctional settings
- Strengthen preventative support for people at risk of homelessness
- Improve public housing policy and practices to better respond to homelessness and the risk of homelessness
- Increase access to and supply of private rental, affordable and social housing
- Strengthen service responses for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
The Northern Territory has the highest rate of homelessness in Australia, at almost 12 times the national average.
The Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development will work with key non-government organisations, all levels of government, local communities and people experiencing homelessness or with lived experience of homelessness to implement the key priorities of the strategy.