Draft Northern Territory Burial and Cremation Bill
Note: the Burial and Cremation Bill 2019 has been withdrawn.
The public consultation period on the withdrawn Burial and Cremation Bill 2019 ended on 31 March 2019.
The Northern Territory Government drafted a Burial and Cremation Bill to replace the current Northern Territory Cemeteries Act 1952. The Cemeteries Act 1952 was reviewed to better reflect the needs and wishes of the Northern Territory community regarding burials, cremation and respecting loved ones’ remains.
The draft legislation was developed based on feedback from stakeholders, including industry groups and land councils.
For questions please contact:
Legislation and Policy Unit
Local Government and Community Development Division
08 8995 5107
Audio information on the draft bill in Aboriginal languages
- East Side Kriol
- Eastern/Central Arrernte
- Murrinh Patha
- Pintupi Luritja
- West Side Kriol
- Western Arrarnta
- Yolngu Matha
Overview of proposed legislation changes
This information is not legal advice and does not cover all of the requirements proposed under the draft Burial and Cremation Bill. It is intended only as a quick reference for some of the main provisions. The full Bill should be read for a complete picture.
- Public cemeteries page | Public cemeteries
- Community cemeteries page | Community cemeteries
- Crematoria page | Crematoria
- Exclusive rights of burial page | Exclusive rights of burial
- Closure of cemeteries page | Closure of cemeteries
- Reviewable decisions page | Reviewable decisions
- Compliance framework page | Compliance framework
- Burials outside of declared cemeteries page | Burials outside of declared cemeteries
Frequently asked questions
Municipal Council/ Corporation
- Greater Darwin including Litchfield and Palmerston
- Katherine Town Council
- Alice Springs Town Council
Last updated: 22 January 2020