The Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development was established by the Northern Territory Government on 12 September, 2016, from the former Department of Housing and the Department of Local Government and Community Services.
The government formed the department to bring together many of the key functions that provide services in affordable and accessible housing, local government and community development across the Northern Territory (NT).
The key areas of the department are:
- public housing
- supported accommodation
- remote Indigenous housing
- seniors housing
- affordable housing
- home ownership
- local government
- interpreting and translating services
- town camps
- remote infrastructure and services.
The department has one minister, one CEO and operates in various locations in the NT.
- Our People
- Our People are the Difference
- Learning and development
- Work Health and Safety incidents and hazards
- Staff Profile – Cheryl Wall
- Local Government newsletter
- Disaster Recovery Funding
- Aboriginal Interpreter Service
- Preventative repairs and maintenance
- Palmerston Indigenous Village
- Redevelopment of John Stokes Square
- Applications under the Information Act
The department's primary function is to provide safe, affordable and secure housing services to Northern Territory residents.Documentation and information is collected to support its work.
The Information Access Unit makes sure all information collected, held and produced by the department is protected.
The Unit allows this information to be accessible where appropriate and recorded in line with legislation, records management practices and privacy considerations.
The department treats all information with the highest ethical standards and integrity and keeps a record of business practices.
Each year, the department produces an information listing of all types of documents and databases held.
The listing provides details on how to obtain documents or information. Items may be publicly available, on the internet, available through freedom of information, or not available.
Read the 2017 information listing.
Request access to information
You can request access to your personal information or government information by submitting an application to the department.
You will receive notice within 30 days of the department's decision to release the information.
How to request access
Submit the relevant form below to a Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development office along with the relevant fee.
You can also submit an application to waive or reduce fees, if you can give financial or other reasons for the waiver or reduction.
Contact the Information Access Unit for more information.
Read more about making freedom of information requests to the Northern Territory Government.
- Application for a review of a decision
- Application to correct personal information
- Application to waive or reduce fees
- Authorisation to disclose personal information
- Request government information
- Request for personal information
Share access to your information
You can also authorise your personal information to be shared with other people.
The person requesting access must fill in and submit an authorisation to disclose personal information form to a
Contact the Information Access Unit
For help accessing department information.
(08) 8999 8490 or (08) 8999 8842
(08) 8942 6806
GPO Box 4621
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 22 January 2020